henriette . aka . luna

30.9.06

September 2006

VENEZUELA
BRAZIL


Corruption,

Gran Sabana & Jungle

10 days, unbelievable 10 days it takes to rescue Fusae from custom.


The agency guys try to tell me that they deal the first time with a situation like this and all the time I hear manana manana.


What a stupid idea to travel in style from central- to South America?!

A border crossing takes normally 1 ½ hours for Fusae and me, but here 1 ½ weeks – just unbelievable.


Paperwork, waiting, more copies, waiting…..


I use the time to have a look around the nice part of this ugly city Maracaibo.


After walking just around some blocks I sweat like a pig.
For longer distances everyone takes one of this `caps` called Carritos.

This are super old, super used US-American cars which get used as collecting cabs on fix routes.
Officially there is space for 5 passengers and the driver stops where there is a need for.
Somehow this cars still run and get somehow fixed to keep them running till they are really gone.

The boys and girls from the agency also try to get out of me as much as possible.
The bill shows a far overpriced tourist price.
The corruption seems to know no borders.
After trying to discuss and bargain and paying the half of the price cash I leave the office and the following day the city.

Free – finally free!!


I can decide free, travel free, enjoy the freedom und just to be!
Yeah yeah!!!


The beautiful landscapes I just suck them up and enjoy.


At the north of the `los llanos`(Venezuelan Serengeti) I ride towards west.

The roads are mostly in first class condition and the gas is nearly free.
Only once a tank full of gas cost me 1 dollar.
Usually I pay for a tank full of super gas (around 10 – 12 lit = 3 gal) 80 cent.
So there I can talk about free gas – if I think that in Europe I can’t get a liter for the same money?


Via the interesting bridge over the Orinoco River I reach the historic city Ciudad Bolivar.
I the old part of town there are nice buildings and in one of them there in `my` posada.

This guest house has a nice court yard, good parking for Fusae and instead of sleeping in a bed I sleep in a hammock.


For my surprise I sleep better than I thought.

You know – old women and so..?..!

Fusae gets here an other oil change and I a free yellow fever vaccination.

On great roads I continue towards south.
After I saw the pictures of the worlds highest waterfalls (angel falls) not to visit them.


To get there it is only possible on a tour or for a lot of money. Both ideas I don’t like so I go and enjoy it to be independent with my sweet motorcycle.

I really enjoy it to ride thru this great landscapes.


The motorcycle travelers I meet are a welcome reason for a break. After a nice talk I love it to continue rideing with my Fusae around curves and over the hills again – so much fun! OK, some bikers are sweet and would be nice to see them again ... but as you know, a journey is full of hello's and good by's :o/


Sta. Elena at the Gran Sabana reached I let Fusae rest for 2 days.

With an four wheel drive we drive out into the prairie, to mountain Roraima.

That’s the highest of these table mountains which hangs aroound here since 2 billion years in the corner of Venezuela, Brazil and Guyana.
These cliff edged sandstone formations are typical for south Venezuela.
The name Tepui (mountain) got international adopted from the local Pemon Indians.

I saw them making flour and bread from the Yuca rote.

Of course every move was in the common relaxed way.

Close by are diamond mines and of course I had a look how they search for them.

What a job – nothing to smile – except they find a nice little rock.



I spend great days in the last corner of Venezuela before I cross at the 23rd of September the border to Brazil!


New papers (done under one hour!), new money and a new language.
Hmmmm Portuguese sounds weird in my ears, but what shells.

With the help of hand and feet’s to describe what I want and some Spanish I have a great trip on bad roads again via little villages to Manaus.

On the way I cross the Equator and I just have a little stop to take a picure.
Nothing else in this heat.
The sun stands in the zenith and there is not much of a shadow.


In Manaus I meet Stefanie (german Brazil expert), Oscar & Luis (2 older Mexicans, per Land Rover on the way to Argentina) which I knew from Panama & some other travelers.

After I found a place to stay with save parking for Fusae it is time to have a look for a boat to Porto Veljo.
I am lucky and get a ticket for this week for the same boat like Oscar & Luis.


Till we leave we have some days to check out the city.
First I thought ok, what should be different in Brazil to other Latin countries, but I found out fast.
The friendly and open way of the people is incredible, the will to help the same and the sensibility when they bother is well developed – no hassle like I had in some other countries.

Free flying Arras & Toucans and all kind of animals I can see and hear while I am riding.

The animal planet channel has a hard time to keep up with it.

Live is simply live!

Also viewed from the culinary angle I am back in a country with culture.


The rest of the culture gap I can easy fill with this great buildings and the world famous opera house of Manaus.
The city at the Amazon boomed at the beginning of the last century with the rubber production and grew mean while to a industrial city in the jungle.

How & where my trip guides me on the southern hemisphere is an other story and as ever at the end of the month here to read.

Happy jelling jungle calls from the Amazon
Henriette aka LUNA

.